Saturday, July 14, 2012

Heartaches and Boo Boos

There comes a time in every parents life when they realize that heartaches aren't like boo boos and we can't kiss them and make them go away.

When they are little and hurting all you need is lots of hugs and kisses and if things are really bad , a Popsicle and a Superman band aid.  After scooping them up and smothering them with kisses magically it's all better.  Those are the mommy moments that we all cherish.  Time flies and in the blink of an eye the days are gone when we could make it all better.

As they get older the heartaches become less about Superman band aids and more often about real life grown up scenarios that can't be so easily remedied.  Sometimes although it goes against every fiber of our being we have to sit back and let them process the pain.  The best we can do as parents is to remind them how much we love them and that we are here if they need us.  It is more painful than actual childbirth but there is no magic epidural to help with the pain.

I know that until the day I take my last breath that their problems will be mine.  Because they are a part of me every thing life throws at them will be felt but not always fixable by me.  I don't like it.  I want the Popsicle years back.

No comments: