Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Sweet Baby Boy

On Saturday my 14 year old son Michael asked if we could go to Leo's Coney Island.  Since we go there a lot I thought I would ask if there was something he wanted from Leo's or if he wanted to go somewhere else.

When I asked him the question he replied "Nothing special just want to spend some time with my mom."  If you are a mother of a teenage boy feel free to take a moment to dab the tears from your eyes.  I know I had to dab a few myself.


After we were seated I excused myself to the bathroom and when I came back he said "I went ahead and put sweetener in your tea the way you like it".  What was this child doing trying to make me have a complete breakdown at Leo's?

Don't get me wrong Michael has always been a sweet kid but as he gets older I can tell it is not as cool to be best buds with your mom and I respect that.  OK, for those that know me well, I really really try to respect that.


For a few moments on a Saturday afternoon I was able to bask in the glow of the full attention of my son.  I really love him as a son and as a person.  He is so much like my dad that sometimes it takes my breath away.

So I am going to savor this moment until the next time he tells me I am weird or rolls his eyes at me.  But secretly I know behind all that bravado there is still that little blond haired boy that loves his momma.

No comments: