Monday, March 3, 2008

It's official..I am the meanest mom in the world

For all you moms out there that think you are the meanest mom in the world you can step aside. According to Ashley I am now the title holder. There was no fanfare, no banner or crown, just a scowling look and an announcement made thru gritted teeth. I become the winner on Friday. I mentioned she would be completing her drivers ed course. She wanted to go to the Secretary of State immediately. However, we ( when I say we I really mean she) didn't have the documents we needed , we had to stop at home and then drive like crazy to try to get there by five o'clock. We missed it by two minutes and let's just say I was not in the best of moods. I took the opportunity to ask her if she had completed the make-up assignments for the classes she missed during our early departure for winter break. The answer of course was no. I informed her that she would not be getting her permit until all homework was completed. " You and dad just couldn't wait until I got something you could take away and torture me with...." I informed her that we were not taking it away that weren't even allowing her to GET IT!!!! It was not a pleasant ride I can assure you.

Why does this parenting thing have to be so hard!!??? Does everything have to be a constant struggle? Can't we all just get along? The answer is NO, we can't. I think this is God's way of preparing us to let go. When they were all cuddly and little could we ever have imagined that we could let them go off on their own? Of course not. But now that they are becoming people with attitudes and opinions we are out shopping for luggage for their departure and deciding what we can do with their rooms when they are gone. I love Ashley more than I ever imagined I could but I take a evil delight in thinking about her experiencing the riggers of the real world. Maybe I just want her to once again to believe I am right and all knowing. That time will come, when she has her first apartment or first baby and looks back. I just hope I can keep from killing her until then.

No comments: