Sunday, April 29, 2012

Date Night Carpool

Saturday night I attempted to have a date night with my handsome fiancee and ended up riding around with four teenage boys drinking Slurpees.  Frozen coke runs does not a date night make or so I thought.

It started with a 4:30 movie because Micheal had tentative plans to go to a party that evening.  No specific times could be given for rides needed.  Being "on call" is not unusual but annoying nonetheless.

By the time dinner ended, we had been summoned to fetch the gang and take them to my house so Michael could change. They would let us know when they needed transportation to another location. A pizza was ordered and the boys socialized as they plotted their next move.

While they decided, we attempted to plan a cruise.  The only way for us to get time alone is to get on a ship and sail away. It is imperative to have our annual seven days alone, otherwise we can't guarantee our sanity for the remainder of the year.

Pizza consumed the gang was ready to head out.  As we pulled out of the driveway it was determined that the lucky girl that would be getting a visit from the boys would not be home until 10 p.m.  It was 9:24.

My handsome date suggested a 7-11 run which is always a good way to kill 20 minutes and 20 dollars.  It was then back home to wait for the o.k. to make their appearance.

Back out again to drop off the boys and we were informed that we would receive a text when we were needed.  Yippee!  Nothing like sitting waiting for the chance to stop snuggling and get out in the cold.

Final text of the evening informed us that they needed to be picked up before midnight.  It was received at 11:40 p.m.

By the time the date night carpool concluded I expected my fiancee to give me a hearty handshake and a "call me when your kids grow up" but he was amazing. He gave me the pep talk about how they are only with us for so long and putting the kids first was one of the things he loves about me.  Talk about a smooth talker.

He had me with "let's go" when the rides were needed.  Who needs a romantic comedy when you have the best kind of romance at home....an understanding fiancee.

After all romance after 40 is hard to find and a terrible thing to waste.


No comments: