Saturday, February 25, 2012

I Miss Snow Days

I miss snow days.  I miss the times when the kids would run into my room and snuggle up with me while we watched the school closings scroll across the screen.

When our school would finally appear that would be squeals of glee and for a fleeting moment I would assume we could all go back to bed.  It only took me a few seconds to realize that the excitement of no school was just way too much for them to be able to go back to sleep.

As the big snowflakes fell from the sky we would hurry downstairs and make breakfast.  It was always still dark outside because my kids would wake up at five to watch the weather when they normally wouldn't have to wake up until seven.  Made perfect sense to them at the time.

The rest of the day would be a vicious cycle of me spending half an hour getting them decked out in hats, gloves, coats, boots and lotion for their little cherub like cheeks.  They would waddle out the door and I would put blankets in the dryer.

About 20 minutes later (which was ten minutes less than it took me to get them dressed) they would reappear at the door frozen and covered in snow

After snuggling on the couch in their long underwear wrapped in their warm blankets they would decide it was time to go again.  I would pull the clothes out of the dryer and replace them with blankets and the process would begin again.

Sounds tedious right? Maybe it was but I miss it. I miss the innocence and the snuggling and the sheer joy of seeing Walled Lake Consolidated Schools scroll across the screen.

Now when there is a snow day they receive a text in bed and they roll over and sleep until noon.  They don't run and jump in my bed.  Let me tell you, the dressing and drying was a small price to pay for the snuggles.



No comments: