Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fluent in Drive Thru

Please, please , please could someone explain to me why the managers of fast food restaurants put people at the drive thru window that can not SPEAK ENGLISH!  This is one of life's greatest mysteries.


I don't understand why when I ask for a straw or Sweet and Low that they look at me like I am crazy. It's not like I am asking for a fluent conversation with the person , just a straw. I think they think if they just keep looking at be with a blank stare on their face that I will eventually drive away. Oh, my Spanish speaking friend you are very wrong.


I have gone to great lengths to help them figure out the one of five words they need to know and they just end up getting the manager. He then looks at me like I am being a real inconvenience because I don't want to suck my diet coke out of the little square on the lid. I guess I am going to have to make picture cards to hold up when they have left a necessary item out of my bag. 

I am not saying that if you don't speak English that you shouldn't be able to work. Trust me, I have run into many English speaking people that have no business interacting with the public. I just think if you are going to stand and hand me food out the window and make a living  doing it you should go home and learn FIVE English words. If you can learn paycheck you can learn ketchup.


Really, am I being unreasonable?


No comments: