Sunday, October 9, 2011

Dreaming In My Forties

I am loving my forties.  It has been a very challenging time but I have never felt more alive.  I know that fifty is just right around the corner.  I am not under the illusion that fifty is the new thirty.  I have seen myself in the mirror and what is staring back at me is definitely not thirty.

With that said, I am enjoying life more than I ever have before, wrinkles and all.  I think that forty is the time to enjoy all the fruits of our labor and reap the benefits of all the years spent building a life and a family.  My children are growing up to be amazing people, I have a job that I love (two of them actually ) and I am in love with a wonderful man.

I no longer worry about spending time with people for the sake of being busy and I make the most of every minute I have with the people I love.  I am not worried about building a life, I am enjoying the life I have built.

I know now that I have to enjoy my body because ten years from now these will be my good years.  I wear shoes that are comfortable and clothes that make me feel good.  I take time to call the people that time has taught me may not be here forever.

I take more chances and worry less about the consequences.  I spent the first half of my life trying to make everyone happy, I plan on spending the last half of it making me happy.  Less Lycra and more wine, more love in my love life and lots of shiny sparkly things surrounding me.  Chocolate for dinner on occasion and Sundays spent in bed with a good book or a gorgeous man.

I am going to spend money on experiences and adventure and not furniture and accessories.  I am going to grab all life has to offer.

I love the forties.

No comments: