Monday, September 19, 2011

Back In School And Breaking Rules!


Last night I attended curriculum night at my son’s school.  I don't like curriculum nights.  They involve a lot of running from one side of the school to another, sitting in classrooms that are stuffy and collecting handouts that I feel compelled to keep but really don't want to.

I started out my evening late for first hour.  I couldn't decide if I should wear my cute rain boots since technically it had stopped raining.  I had to decide on the shoes before I could decide on a jacket.  If I wore the boots I was thinking I should tone down the jacket. But who was I kidding?  I am not a big fan of toning down anything, much less an outfit.

After first period, I had to cross the entire school to go to Art Class.  Half way there I spotted the school bookstore with a 50% off sign in the window and popped in to take a peak.  I totally skipped second hour to shop.  I wasn't off to a stellar beginning with a tardy and a skip.

Third hour I was early because I skipped second hour.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that I sat next to a guy with really strong cologne that distracted me.  Not in a "he smells good" kind of way but in an "I hope I don't gag" kind of way.  Needless to say I didn't learn much about Biology class.

Fourth hour started off great but my cell phone rang right in the middle of the teacher's presentation.  Those teachers sure don't like to be interrupted.  Jeez! It was my son Michael who knew very well I was in the middle of class.  I suppose the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree after all.

Fifth hour my phone rang again.  This was like totally not my fault because my best friend Tara was having a crisis and I had to take the call.  I gathered up all my shopping bags from when I skipped second hour and went out into the hall. Of course I received many terse looks from the "goodie goodie" parents.

Sixth hour I sat next to my good friend Pam.  Now since we haven't seen each other in a while we discreetly tried to catch up.  We were in the back row and had no interest in how the teacher was using gold fish to teach property rights. After we had talked and giggled through the entire presentation I noticed a man giving us "the look".  You know like when you were goofing off in church and your mom would look at you?  I asked Pam if she knew him and she said yes he was the assistant principal.  I think he was none too pleased with our behavior.

I decided that school was exhausting and I needed a diet coke.  I mean seriously all that running around and paying attention is hard on a person.  All I can say is thank goodness there was shopping and that they can't put parents in detention.  

No comments: