Monday, November 8, 2010

College Tours

There has got to be a way to make college tours more interesting. I have been on several this year and they are all the same. Considering myself a pro after these visits I propose the following changes.

1. Does the tour guide have to walk backwards? It is very distracting and I spend most of my time worrying about the next crack in the sidewalk.

2. We don't care what the names of each and every building. We also don't care to know that the reason the brick is two different colors is because it has been on fire TWICE. I think a building catching on fire twice on campus is not a selling point. Call me crazy.

3. School colors and mascots are important. I refuse to pay 40,000 dollars a year to be straddled with a weird mascot sticker on my car and wearing a ugly sweatshirt on parent's weekend.

4. It might be nice to see the inside of the buildings. For all we know this is just all one big movie set and the real classrooms are trailers out back.

5. Show us the food. Everyone knows that food is a big part of the college experience. I need to see a cafeteria and a menu. If chicken nuggets isn't on the list I can guarantee my daughter will not be attending.

6. Show us a real dorm room. I don't want to see the empty one, show me the one where two teenagers actually have all their stuff crammed into it.

7. Please , please provide us with a tour guide that speaks proper English. You have an entire campus full of kids, pick ones with the ability to determine the proper verb needed.

8. Tell me what you have planned for the freshman the first week on campus. Assure me that my daughter isn't going to be in her dorm room worrying about how she is going to meet people. I am going to be home crying all week so at least show me that she will be having a great time.

These are just a few things I would like to see changed or added. Maybe I am just a little cranky because my best friend is getting to go off to college and she is leaving me behind. I concede that point. Do you think I could just home school her?


No comments: