Thursday, July 22, 2010

Hard times

Well, with the flood of 2010 dried out and all water damaged areas demolished we begin the process of a major remodel that was completely unplanned.

The kind folks at the flooring store called to inform us today that our hardwood was "outdated and unavailable" because the boards are beveled and not smooth. Apparently we have been living here with this outdated flooring and weren't even aware of it. I shudder to think what the neighbors must be saying about us.

Now I have to decide on either a new type of flooring for the entire first floor or try to match this "beveled mess" with another brand. On top of our hardwood problem I also need to choose a paint color for the kitchen and master bedroom, carpeting for the upstairs and possibly tiles for the back splash. These are decisions that seem way too important to make under a time constraint when I can't find my clothes and I am sharing a room with my seventeen year old daughter.

My friend Tara who lives in Chicago is all in a tizzy about me making these choices alone. Tara grew up cultured while I grew up with chickens in my back yard. You can see why she would be worried. She is emailing me tile samples and designs and reminding me to pick a color I like and go back two shades. All the while she is muttering...."I should really come out there".

So I am off to battle the world of colors and fibers and shamefully beveled hardwood. If anyone has any advice on how to tackle all these choices without losing my mind, let me know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pick a "ridiculous" color and THEN go back 2 shades. That seems to be how HGTV does it ;-)

Tara said...

I really should come out there.......

Anonymous said...

[color=#225588]Nice page! I haven't noticed kimberlyeller.blogspot.com before in my searches!I found very useful information about
[/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]akne[/url] [color=#225588]here... Keep up the hard work![/color]

Anonymous said...

[color=#225588]Great post! thank you for sharing this information. kimberlyeller.blogspot.com really got under my
[/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] [color=#225588]bookmarked... Keep up the good site...[/color]