Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Bungee Jumping

I have never quite understood the allure of bungee jumping.  I am not sure what it would take to convince me to plunge upside down by a rubber band type apparatus tied to one of my legs but I am pretty sure it would involve a insane amount of money and Ryan Gosling naked at the end waiting for my return.  That scenario would only work if I had downed a couple of glasses of wine.

Recently a young girl tried the bungee experience to find that the rubber band things do in fact snap (which is my big fear) and you will in fact plunge to the earth at a very high speed.  Oh, and also she was jumping over shark infested waters.  If there was ever a time for the acronym WTF it would have been then.

But as usual when I read these stories, I need more information.

First, is she employed with her own insurance policy or still on her parents policy?  If she is still on her parents policy she gave no mind to the deductible that would need to be paid if this all went badly, as it did.  Was she on vacation? Did she have her insurance card with her? Was her companion capable of making medical decisions?  Did she even think about her poor mother getting the "oops, your daughter fell into the shark infested water" call as she was making dinner?

Second, did she know the water below was swarming with sharks? If she did then I say again WTF!  Who does that? Who has that much confidence in her karma that she is sure nothing is going to go wrong?  I would be thinking of every mean thing I had ever said and the time I parked in a handicapped spot for just a moment to run into Target to get a Starbucks.  That would have been enough to cause me to rethink my decision as they tied me to the rubber band and pushed me.  That might not have pushed her but let me tell you they would have had to push me!

Maybe I am just an old fuddy duddy but the most daring thing I have done lately was to leave the house without jewelry to navigate the shark infected waters of the PTA. I am officially old.

No comments: