Friday, October 14, 2011

Presence Versus Presents

I am so excited for the holidays this year. This will be the first holiday in a very long time where all the madness of my previous relationship will not be a factor.

I know that it will be different, but sometimes different is a good thing.  I love Christmas. I love the shopping, the baking, the chaos and the feeling that for a day we all take a break from everything and just enjoy each other.

I read a quote recently that said "Love is what you hear in the room when you stop opening presents and listen"  I love that quote.  It rings so true.  Being with family is the most important part of the holiday.  At our house we have lots of traditions, some crazy and some that we reinvent each year.  But the most important thing is that we are all together, whether we are fighting over whose turn it is to bring the tree up from the basement or what type of cookies we are making.  Usually at some point during the holiday season I end up exclaiming "that we are making memories here so everyone get in here and be happy".  It has become a joke in our family. My kids will even say "get in here Mom we are making a memory".

So before the frenzy starts this year stop and take a moment to count your blessings.  Remember that your presence is more important than your presents.  Make sure you carve out and schedule time to watch a Christmas classic with your family and tell them how much you love them.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the holiday season soon. I hope you and your family will make a bunch of new memories. You're pretty awesome, so it'll come easy. Di