Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The One Left At The Window

Yesterday my friend Shawna and I were having lunch with our girls after a college shopping expedition.  They finished first and were sitting outside the restaurant soaking up some sun. Gazing upon these beautiful grown up young ladies we couldn't help but reminisce about the days when they were toddlers.

It was hard to believe that these were the same little girls that used to stand at the window and cry for us whenever we left the house.  I remember how the sight of Ashley perched on the windowsill with her little tear stained face pressed against the glass used to make me want to pull back in the garage and never leave.  But I knew as soon as I was out of sight she would adjust and be just fine.

It occurred to me that soon I will be the one standing at the window watching Ashley pull out of the drive and head out to start a whole new life.  I know there will be tears and I will make every attempt not to chase her car down the road, but I make no promises.

I have come to realize that it is much harder to be the one standing at the window than it is to be the one pulling out of the drive.  The roles have changed but the outcome is the same.  She will pull away because she has to (and she really really wants to)  and I will stand and watch her car disappear, just as she did with mine.

I know I will be all right. The sadness will be replaced by the all those little distractions of life and before I know it the car will be pulling back into the drive.  Each time the goodbyes will get easier as I "grow up" and become adjusted to being the one left all alone at the window.

No comments: