Monday, December 6, 2010

Parents with Plans?

Our three high schools in Walled Lake are presenting a special collage concert this weekend. Over 1,200 students from the band, orchestra and choir will perform at Northern High School.

It will be beautiful and amazing and will bring down the house. It is also a big task to undertake.

My friend Cindy and I were talking about the difficulty of getting enough volunteers to cover supervision, feeding the kids between shows, tickets, etc. Each school is responsible for the running of one performance and our night is Saturday night.

During our discussion she mentioned with it being the second weekend in December parents she talked with were telling her they had made plans for that evening. Plans? There are parents that have plans that don't involve shuttling their kids from one event to another?

"What do these people do?" I ask her.

"I think they go to dinner with friends or something" she stated.

Really? Plans that don't revolve around the kids activities. How is that possible?

After much thought I realized how they could have plans. They have time to dine and socialize because the same 20 people always volunteer to be with the kids while they are dining.

We discussed what it might be like to be one of those people that drop their kids off at a function and then pick them up when it is over. What would we do with all that free time?

The way I look at it I will have all the free time in the world when the kids are out of the house. I know all too well having a senior in high school that the years fly by and before you know it they are off on their own.

I wouldn't trade the time I have spent volunteering with my kids for anything in the world. I have met and had the opportunity to get to know some amazing kids and parents. I have watched these kids grow up and become young adults that I am proud to call my friends. It is the little moments where the memories are made and relationships are fostered.

So to all the parents that don't have the time or inclination to help out with their children's activities I say it is never too late. Step up to the plate and get involved. Give of your time to help make sure all these activities that you are dropping your kids off at are able to continue.

I promise that you will come away from the experience with some great memories.

No comments: