Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Give a little..get a lot!

'Tis the season to be...you name it. Stressed, blessed, in debt, on the road , on your last nerve, overbooked, over worked, tired of baking and just plain overwhelmed.

If you are like me, the holidays are the equivalent of getting a part-time job, that doesn't pay. Don't get me wrong I love the holidays but I think we all get so overwhelmed with giving and doing for people that don't really need anything that we sometimes forget all the people who have so little and truly need so much.

My kids are blessed and well taken care of. At least that is the phrase I use when my husband says they are spoiled. No where on their Christmas list will you find underwear, pajamas or a new toothbrush. In fact there have been times when Ashley has had a hard time coming up with a list. Michael, the retail junkie in the household does not suffer from that affliction.

I was dining with a friend at the Uptown Grille this week-end and noticed that they were collecting pajamas for children to donate to the Hospitality House in Walled Lake. Since pajamas are my favorite thing in the world I decided that the kids and I would make an effort to think outside the traditional giving and each purchase a set of pajamas for a child that needed them.

My children were all for it and we are going to shop tonight and deliver them to the Uptown Grille.

I challenge each of you to reach out and find some way to give this season to someone that truly has a need. Through out the Oakland Press you will find stories to inspire you and inform you on when and where the needs in the county are and how you can help. That is one of the truly great things about this paper is that if focuses on the local area.

Face it , if you are like me you don't really have needs this holiday season. Go out and give a little and I guarantee you will get a lot in return. Let's try to teach our kids the real reason for the season. To realize how blessed you are you have to realize that others are in need.

Let me know what causes and areas of need you happen upon. Inspire us with your ideas.




No comments: