Thursday, September 20, 2007

Can you see this now?

I had my annual eye doctor appointment today and each year it gets more depressing. First of all I think it is very stressful. They make you look into the machine and show you letters and say "is the first one better , or the second one?" Well they all look the same to me. I get the feeling he is trying to trick me and any minute he'll say "Ah ha...they are all the same letters ...You're an optical fraud!!!" Then they blow air into your eyes and expect you to keep you eyes open. After the exam I was informed that I needed reading glasses and did I want bi-focals? Bi-focals?!, upon hearing this I immediately started trying to get my hair up in a bun. He could have handed me a walker and a box of prunes and I would have felt younger. You see, about 18 years ago when Steve and I first married we went to the home of his boss for dinner. The couple seemed so polished and perfect and she gave us a tour of their beautiful home. On her nightstand there was a book and a pair of reading glasses. I remember thinking "wow, she must be older than I thought if she needs reading glasses!". Well I am now that woman but I feel anything but polished and perfect. When I pick up my glasses I will most definitely hide them in a drawer when those young perky couples visit.

No comments: